After 5 years the EU-funded MyNewGut project has officially come to an end. The consortium celebrated the project findings during their final conference on 18 October 2018 where the partners provided clear evidence that:
• Bacterial strains in our gut could be the next generation of probiotics
• Consuming an excess of proteins generates some toxic metabolites
• Diets rich in fibres are associated with fewer symptoms of depression, help to maintain body weight and reduce the risk of developing chronic metabolic diseases
• A high-fat diet may have a negative impact on the gut microbiota and the brain
• The gut microbiota influences metabolic health
For a complete overview of the outcomes check the project website and read the final conference summary document.